Those who were attending QuakeCon today were in for a treat as a whole new Fallout 4 gameplay demo was shown, revealing some new information about the game. While there’s no footage of the panel itself, IGN and Reddit came to the rescue.
Below is every relevant fact revealed and gathered from F4’s QuakeCon panel, including some interesting information about companions, perks, power armors and more.
New info about Dog Meat! He can be found early on once we leave the comforts of Vault 111, and as seen before in the E3 gameplay demo he can be sent into buildings to explore and retrieve loot for us. Dog Meat is also physically based on River, a real-life dog of one of the game designers. The studio actually filmed the dog to make him look as realistic as possible in game.
Preston Garvey can also be your companion. He’s the leader of Commonwealth Minutemen, an in-game faction based in Concord, Massachusetts, which you’ll be doing tasks for. He was already introduced earlier as a character in Fallout Shelter.
Another companion is a charismatic Piper, found near Diamond City which is a settlement in the ruins of Fenway Park.
Mr. Handy, a Codsworth-like robot can also aid your adventures as a companion. Apparently it wasn’t just a joke and he really can say 1000 different names, including Mr. Fuckface, though I truly have no idea why you would want to name your character that.
The insides of Mr. Handy are actually fully modeled, meaning we might go and blow him up on purpose a few times just to see what he’s made of. Or we’ll just get tired of him calling us Mr. Fuckface.
In total there will be about a dozen different companions in FO4. Companion romance is a thing now as well regardless of your character’s gender, but it’s not yet clear whether it’s possible to have a romantic relationship with Mr. Handy. Or Dogmeat.
Of course we can play without any companions as well, and there’s even some perks for solo play.
Speaking of perks, there are 70 different ones available. Each perk also has a set of ranks, and it all totals to 275 different iterations of ranks.
A couple of new perks have been spotted: Intimidation and Attack Dog. Bloody Mess perk is back, just in case you were concerned!
The whole leveling system works differently now, as perks will also depend on your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. As an example, if you have a higher Agility then some agility-based perks will be available to you earlier.
It’s also definitely confirmed now that Fallout 4 will no longer have skills, and according to the developers it’s not a “disappointment”.
- Looting will be real-time and won’t pause combat.
- Game will pause when opening your Pip-Boy, even during combat.
- Using Stimpaks and similar boosts will not trigger animations, during which you won’t be able to perform other actions like shooting at Ghouls, who now have a different but more fluid walking animation.
- Enemies can now jump and climb obstacles. There will also be legendary enemies.
- Hacking seems to work the same as in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
- Karma will once again affect how NPCs react to your character.
- Some books in game are now actually readable (like Grognak the Barbarian), and have multiple issues.
- You can find modified weapons in the wasteland, and higher luck might affect the chance. You can also melee with any weapons, with no special modifications required.
Personally I expected a bit more information about the game, and at the very least some new gameplay videos, but I suppose we’ll have to wait a bit closer until release for more specific info.
Let us know what you think about companions, perks, and other reveals!